Re: ethernet routing problem?

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Steve Izma wrote:

> 	Installation of netbase and netstd seemed to go well
> using dselect, except for an unsurprising temporary problem in
> finding the right i/o port for the ethernet card. I'm using the
> D-link DE220P, which the ne driver easily finds. Ifconfig gives
> this report, which I believe shows correct configuration of the
> driver to the card:
>
> eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C8:2D:7D:8F
>           inet addr:192.54.242.228  Bcast:192.54.242.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           TX packets:4117 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x220

Lets see route -n please ;>

Try the lines
route add -net 192.54.242.0
route add default gw <router ip> metric 1

The first should allow you to ping other hosts and the second will setup
your routing.

Another thing to check is that the Dlink cards didn't get foozled when
Linux loads. I have a wack of De-250's here that go nutz if they are on
0x280, some get some badly damanged they have to be returned (eeprom was
erased!) Fire up win95 or dos and make sure the card works, do this with a
soft reboot. Also check the lights on the back and be sure that the recv
light flickers, both of those symptoms of a crazed dlink.

Jason