Re: first installation, network problem

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Andree Leidenfrost wrote:

> -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root        12476 Feb 14 02:22 /bin/ping
> However, I wonder why ping has to be setuid root. Anybody more

It has to open a raw socket to send ICMP packets.  (There are many more
ICMP types than just ECHO_REQUEST; allowing all users to send, for
example, NETWORK_UNREACH packets would be a disaster for your
connectivity...)

Lots of abuse is possible with ping; try pinging a dialup with 1024 byte
packets, one per second, three background jobs...

	Niels

PIH     XXTP     SE     ICTL, BTIHTKY.     <niels@churchofbofh.org>
Note:  I do not speak for my employer  -  they have net.access too.