Re: Package configuration philosophy

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95q.970226120804.18085S-100000@siva.taz.net.au>,
  Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:
>

> > Debian comes up in a much "rawer" form after install - for instance,
> > no prompt beyond the basic "#" for root and "$" for the user (RedHat
> > gives you the now famous "username /home/username$" prompt).
>
> # and $ are standard/expected prompts. if you want something different,
> customise it yourself.

   I think you are missing my point. I'm not just talking about the
prompt or X11 or any other specific package, but the whole shabam.

> what are you talking about?
>
> debian has a 'menu' package which all other packages can use to register
> themselves with - menus for fvwm, fvwm95 and other are auto-generated
> from this information. It was written in such a way that it is easy to
> add support for a new window manager or text-mode menu program whenever
> needed.
>
> Not all packages are using menu yet, but most are.

     Yes, I know about this - I found it out a few days ago, BUT, you
are again missing my point that in *my*, yes, *my* view it would be an
advantage to have some sort of nice default setup instead of a
bare-bones system. Yes, all the tools are in place to help me customize
but the system is still bare-bones. I don't know about you, but I am
into Linux as a hobby - I only have a few hours a week to devote to it.
I *will* get around to learning all the intricacies and I *will*
configure it to my own tastes, but in the meantime, while I am learning
all the functions I would prefer a nicer setup.

> It's also fairly easy to use it to make custom menus - e.g. if you want
> an xterms menu which contains several "xterm -T <hostname> -e rlogin
> <hostname>" menu entries then you can have it quite easily - either as
> part of the standard system menu which everyone gets or as your custom
> menu which only your login gets.
>
> last i saw them, redhat's menus were all hard-coded.  they DON'T get
> automatically updated whenever a new package is installed.  Debian's menus
> DO get automatically updated.
>
> so, install the menu package and look in /usr/doc/menu
>
> >  These are just a few examples.
>
> ...of not bothering to find out what debian can do.
>
> it seems to me that your complaints have less to do with omissions in
> debian than with lack of understanding/knowledge on your part. What you
> want (and more!) is already in debian.
>
> Craig

	My complaints have to do with the fact that for someone taking Linux as
a hobby, as opposed to it being a part of his work or very soul, Debain
seems to neglect the fact that I can't learn it all in 3
days/weeks/whatever yet still would like a simple working system while I
go through the ropes.

	Yoav