Re: Package configuration philosophy

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95q.970226120804.18085S-100000@siva.taz.net.au> you write:

>On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:
>
>> X is pretty bare in Debian after install, too - if you just "startx"
>> you get a simple xterm with no default menus, no menued way of running
>> another xterm, heck not even a FvwmModule running on screen with xload
>> and xclock in it.
>
>what are you talking about?
>
>debian has a 'menu' package which all other packages can use to register
>themselves with - menus for fvwm, fvwm95 and other are auto-generated
>from this information. It was written in such a way that it is easy to
>add support for a new window manager or text-mode menu program whenever
>needed.
>
>Not all packages are using menu yet, but most are.

I'm not sure about the situation in unstable, but in stable neither the
menu package, or fvwm2 seem to provide /etc/menu-methods/fvwm2.
This file is available in /usr/doc/menu/examples. Because of this, the
menu is not updated by default. Is this the case in unstable or should I
report it as a bug?

Having copied the example file over, the result is excellent and should
be a selling point for Debian. Well done.

>it seems to me that your complaints have less to do with omissions in
>debian than with lack of understanding/knowledge on your part. What you
>want (and more!) is already in debian.

Sometimes, Debian hides its light under a bushel.

There was a suggestion recently of producing an equivalent of the "Tips on
Startup" available from win95. If this is going ahead, perhaps one of the
tips could be "You can add user menu entries - for details see ..."

Chris