Re: Package configuration philosophy

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Pete Templin wrote:

> >  He's right!!!! Debian should provide a nicer default for the prompt. Many
> > people take this things into account when deciding which distribution they
> > like best.
> If someone is going to evaluate an entire distribution on a prompt (even
> if there are other factors), I'm not going to be upset if they don't
> choose Debian.

 I'm no talking about just the prompt. We're talking about good and
comfortable defaults, default settings should be like suggestions of how
things can be done.
 Good defaults is very important in a distribution, IMHO.

> Perhaps we could/should point people towards how to change
> it, but I see NO reason to depart from the standard.

 Standard? What standard? Is this...

# _

 POSIX?  =)

> which produces the following two line prompt, always ready at position 6:
>   --> Tue 21:17 on templinux : pwd is ~/files/personal
> tcsh>

 Too custom... =)

 The default prompt should only display the cwd, the host, and perhaps de
user...

Nicolás Lichtmaier.-
nick@feedback.com.ar