RE: Package configuration philosophy

Yoav wrote:

#ifdef QUOTE --------------------------------------------

It seems that Debian is taking a rather different philosophy on
pre-configured packages than other distributions, such as RedHat. What I

<snip a comparison of different packaging set-ups>

It seems as if Debian is catering to the more techie crowd - the ones
that want a bare-bones system they can play around with and not have
someone else make decisions and choices for them. Sort of like after
installing Solaris - the system is stripped to the bones by way of
configuration - you have to set it all up by yourself.

My proposition - let's go for the more casual, yet sophisticated user.
A user that DOES want to read the Fvwm man page to learn how to set it
up to his own tastes, BUT doesn't want to do it 2 hours after installing
the system and in the meantime he would like a nice default to help him
get along.

Well, I see your point about Debian leaving you with the "So, now what?"
feeling after an installation, but I think that is an advantage. Yes it
does cater to the technical crowd but, it isn't that technical and you end
up learning something about your system while you try to customize it. I am
in the process of trying to set up color ls in my xterms. On other systems,
it might be included and I would have never learned about my .bashrc,
.profile, .xresource, and xrdb. In trying to do a simple customization, I
have been learning about my system.

I am not flaming your opinion, just adding a data point to the argument.