Re: Can't load modules into kernel.

"Thus spake Hamish Neil Moffatt"

> Victor Torrico writes:
> > Did a recompile to version 2.1.26. Everything works fine except that I
> > cant load the three loadable modules I compiled.
>
> If you really mean you recompiled it (as in, you compiled it twice), then that's
> probably your problem; there's a file called /lib/modules/<version>/modules.dep
> which details the dependenceies between modules, but it doesn't get replaced
> when you upgrade to a new compile of the same kernel (with make-kpkg etc).
> Remove /lib/modules/<version>/modules.dep and reboot
> and see if that helps.

Better still, try this.  Delete each of the subdirs (net, fs, etc.) under
/lib/modules/<version>, cd to /usr/src/linux and run make modules_install to
reinstall the new modules.  This will insure that you have all the modules,
and only the modules available which go with the current kernel.  After the
modules from the current build have been reinstalled, run depmod -a to
rebuild modules.dep.  This will make your current set of modules installable
without rebooting.

--
Lindsay Haisley          | "Everything works     |   PGP public key
FMP Computer Services    |       if you let it"  |   available via