Re: another PPP setup question ...

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Herman Mansilla wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>  Even though I am novice in PPP, I had a similar case:
> In my Ethernet Network I set up a Linux Machine as a router, adding a
> Frame Relay card. This card used 192.168.x.x as a dummy address.
> According to the manual it needed an additional address, so the
> manufacturers selected this address, because it was a reserved address.
> I mean it belongs to a pool of addresses that are not used in Internet, so
> they are reserved for Intranets or LANs not connected to Internet.
>  The configuration of my card used that address as an alias for the real
> IP address of my router, so from the Internet you can not "ping" to the
> reserved IP address.
>  If your LAN is using a reserved IP address, the only way to connect is
> using "Masquerading". I suggest you to read the Masquerading Howto, if
> that is your case.
> -Herman

Thanks Herman.  It actually works now, although I haven't changed
anything significant.  I just log into the server (which can ping
everything) and do an arp -a, see myproxy entry, and then I can
ping from home (and more importantly, talk to the imap server in
NY).  I haven't had time to realy figure out why it now works as
its been very busy here, but when I get a chance, I'll post what
it was.

Thanks again.

Richard G. Roberto
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.