How to properly set up a static IP address.

     I have installde debian 1.2 on my desk top machine and
origionally configured it with an IP address of 0.0.0.0 since my ISP
uses dymanic IP address allocation.  A few days ago I decided to try
setting up the desktop machine as a server for my laptop so that I
could get a little space on the laptop drive.  wu-ftpd was loaded on
the desk top so quick and dirty I launched that and attached the
laptop to the desktop using ppp, giving bath the local and remote
addresses to pppd like so  (pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2).

    When tried to use the paltop as a client I couldn't get a
connection to the ftpd however using the loopback address on the
desktop there was no poblem.  Obviously my routing was screwed up.
After reading several FAQs and "Running Linux" I was confused enough
that I somply did "ifconfig lo 10.0.0.1" and it ran.  This is surely
not the way I want to perminintly set things up.

     Can someone give me some direction on what to read and or what
file changes I need to make.  The changes should be simple enough.
Thanks for any help.