Re: HELP! locked out of X - problem solved THANKS!

> I solved my locked out of X problem by rebooting the machine while
> holding down the shift key, then booting up in single user mode.  Then
> removing the S99XDM file or whatever it is called.  Thanks for all your
> help everyone, you are incredible!

But isn't that the wrong solution? Isn't the correct way to fix this
to set your default runlevel properly? Mine is 2, I have
/etc/rc{2,3,4,5}.boot/S99xdm, but I don't get xdm loading on startup.

Mind you, I can't see anywhere in /etc/init.d/* where it only
starts xdm based on the runlevel, nor in the inittab.

Hamish