RE: Motherboard Questions

For Speed freaks:

I have a dual PP200. I've run with and without 2 CPUs on a TYAN FX Pro mother
board.

The second CPU really boosts the performance when running multi threaded apps. (java)
Otherwise I did not experience much of a performance improvement.
Compiling the entire Linux kernel to about 10 minutes.

You can really see the CPU working when running "top" and java applets.

Hi,

I'm running Debian 1.1 (kernel 2.0.6) and am getting ready to drop
buck$ into a faster motherboard. (I've read the hardware howto on
sunsite and haven't found my questions addressed there.) Pointers to
other docs or lists welcome.

I'm considering single vs. dual cpu Pentium or PPro boards so:

1) do I get more bang with 2 Pentium 200's or 1 Pentium Pro 200?

2) if single PP200 is still faster then what about 2 PP150's vs 1
PP200? (This might seem like an odd question until you add up the
prices!)

3) If dual PP is notably faster than single then: any experience out
there with the Intel "Providence" dual PP200 motherboard? It has scsi,
enet, and sound built-on, and I don't find references to these chips in
the supported hardware how-to.

	scsi: Adaptec 7880
	enet: EtherExpress PRO/100B
	sound: Crystal CS4236