Re: Writing to a boot floppy.

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Bob Clark wrote:

> Make the target "zdisk" and you will have a boot floppy.
>
> Bubonic wrote:
> >
> > I recompiled my kernel today (without any major problems) to 2.027,
> > however, I can't seem to figure out how to create a new boot floppy.  I have
> > tried:  cp vmlinux /dev/fd0 to a DOS-formatted disk, but when I tried to reboot
> > my computer, it didn't work.
> >
> > I assume that I am missing or forgetting something, but the books that I have
> > and the FAQS and HOWTO's I have read have very little information on this.
> > They tend to deal more with LILO, as opposed to booting off of a floppy.

If you have access to the kernel sources, /usr/src/linux, then you may
have a look at linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt. It contains a nice,
extensive story on how to build boot disks including compressed root images.

Have fun

Stelios Parnassidis <stel@ikaria.camelot.de>
Kapuzinerstr. 8, 80337 Muenchen, Germany, Tel. +49-089-7211505