eth0: Insufficient memory; nuking packet. (??)

Hi.

 Does someone know how to cure this sort of a hung net?  I understand
that testing a beta version software may result in an adventure.  When
testing LyX at some point with the try to produce a real LaTeX-preview
the net completely hung.  In /var/log/messages there were the
following entries:

Feb 20 09:36:25 welfa4 kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....
Feb 20 09:36:25 welfa4 kernel: eth0: Insufficient memory; nuking packet.
Feb 20 09:36:25 welfa4 last message repeated 6 times

 I never experienced such a situation before.  The net couldn't even
be shut down by ''ifconfig down eth0''.  ifconfig showed about more
than 1100 errors for Transmissions.

 -Andreas.

--
Uni Wuppertal, FB Elektrotechnik, Tel/Fax: (0202) 439 - 3009
Dr. Andreas Wehler;  wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de