Re: linux file systems - frag-up

>         Can anybody out there familiar with linux filesystem formats tell
>      me if I need to be concerned with file system fragmentation.

I've never had a problem with file-system fragmentation.  As long as you
leave some space free on the filesystem (this is part of the reason for
5% reserved for root), it will figure out how not to fragment your drive.
Running an ext2 fs about 90% full for about a year led to 8-9%
fragmentation.  While this isn't _great_, it doesn't get much worse
than that.

I've heard rumors of an ext2 file system defrag program -- but I don't
think I'd trust my data to it.
--
				- John Larkin
				- jlarkin@hmc.edu