dselect: an urgent suggestion, common upgrade problems

"Let the ones that managed to end up the Select phase in one go throw me the
first stone for being so impudent..."

That's it: I have had 3 upgrades to do, and always hit return by mistake,
prematurely throwing myself out of the "Select" phase. You can return to it, of
course, but the ordering of packages is completely different (new packages are
no longer new... etc). Given how deeply irreversible it is to hit this one
return key at that stage, it would seem appropriate to ask for confirmation
before exiting the select phase.

Otherwise, the upgrade is rather smooth. Maybe there should be a corner on the
web server collecting troubles with upgrades and solutions, like the common:

	? Perl dependence on libdl1
	 !install libso first, and reinstall perl

	? libX...so.n not found (eg for fvwm)
	 !add /usr/X11R6/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig as root;

The problem is that list archives are not up to date, and anyway lack a
powerful search engine. Moreover, when your system is broken, you cannot access
the web anymore, so you may want a printable document listing common install
problems and solutions. Not publicising this type of info as loudly as possible
is what really worries me with commercial software, more than asking 2$ from CD
makers...

Amities,

		Jean Orloff
+ Tel:(33)450.09.16.75 Fax:(33)450.27.94.95 http://lapphp0.in2p3.fr/~orloff/ +
Advertisement for donkey rides in Thailand:
       Would you like to ride on your own ass?