Re: diald problems. argh.

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:24:33 +1100 Hamish Moffatt (moffatt@yallara.cs.
rmit.edu.au) wrote:

> > On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:04:55 PST "Kevin Traas" (ktraas@uniserve.com)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Should we (or I) talk to someone and get the docs edited slightly and add a
> > > ", let me repeat, *** YOU DON'T NEED TO START pppd FROM YOUR DIALD CHAT
> > > SCRIPT BECAUSE DIALD STARTS pppd AUTOMATICALLY ONCE THE CHAT SCRIPT
> > > COMPLETES. ***" This or something similar would make things a little more
> > > obvious....
> >
> > When I installed diald some six months ago, this wasn't a problem for
> > me :-)
> > Maybe because I used the examples provided in /usr/doc/diald...
>
> Sarcasm & attitude aside, I'd love to follow this advice. However,
> /usr/doc/diald/examples/diald.options[.gz] says
> connect "/etc/ppp/ppp-connect-with-diald"
> but this script is not provided. Hence my stuffing it up.

Sarcasm was intended. Indeed, I never saw a modem nor ppp, nor diald
in my whole life and I configured it in less than two hours. Maybe am
I a geek ?

In the diald examples directory lives:
/usr/doc/diald/examples/bin/connect.gz
which is a very good example of chatscript.

> Also, I thought all examples lived in /usr/doc/examples; diald's
> live in /usr/doc/diald/examples, and there's no sym link in
> /usr/doc/examples.

The new package format states that examples should be in
/usr/doc/<package>/examples. The old format used /usr/doc/examples/<pa
ckage>.
We still have old packages to be converted...

But I admit the manpage is quite confusing on the `connect' command.

Phil.