Re: diald problems. argh.

> On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:04:55 PST "Kevin Traas" (ktraas@uniserve.com)
> wrote:
>
> > Should we (or I) talk to someone and get the docs edited slightly and add a
> > ", let me repeat, *** YOU DON'T NEED TO START pppd FROM YOUR DIALD CHAT
> > SCRIPT BECAUSE DIALD STARTS pppd AUTOMATICALLY ONCE THE CHAT SCRIPT
> > COMPLETES. ***" This or something similar would make things a little more
> > obvious....
>
> When I installed diald some six months ago, this wasn't a problem for
> me :-)
> Maybe because I used the examples provided in /usr/doc/diald...

Sarcasm & attitude aside, I'd love to follow this advice. However,
/usr/doc/diald/examples/diald.options[.gz] says
connect "/etc/ppp/ppp-connect-with-diald"
but this script is not provided. Hence my stuffing it up.

Also, I thought all examples lived in /usr/doc/examples; diald's
live in /usr/doc/diald/examples, and there's no sym link in
/usr/doc/examples.

diald from buzz had even less documentation provided, especially
useful versions. rex is much better in this regard, but clearly
has some way to go. As I said, I knew diald was going to be horrendous
to set up when I started, and I wasn't far wrong. For example,
I just added some rules to ignore certain protocols to the bottom
of my /etc/diald/diald.conf; bad move, because the default
"accept any ..." lines get you before then. Took quite some hair
before I figured this out.

The warnings about named were also nearly enough to scare me off.
Since non-computer people will be using this setup, in the end
I set up apache on the gateway machine, with a quick script
to say whether the link is up or not, and if not, provide a button
they can press which runs another script which tells diald
to go up via the fifo. Seems to work quite well, rather than
waiting for a connection to timeout. I have named forwarding
requests here.

Hamish