Meta-key not working in Emacs after installing Xfree 3.2

I had a little trouble after installing the new xbase.

After reconfiguring X11 I could use my computer again.  But now the
Alt-chr combination does not work anymore in Emacs.  Can anybody help me
to correct that please?

Here is the relevant section from my XF86Config-file.

# **********************************************************************
# Keyboard section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol	"Standard"

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line

#    Protocol	"Xqueue"

    AutoRepeat	500 5
# Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be required
# when using pre-R6 clients
#    ServerNumLock

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Xleds      1 2 3

# To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
# RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

    LeftAlt     Meta
    RightAlt    ModeShift
    RightCtl    Compose
    ScrollLock  ModeLock

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.

#    XkbDisable

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    XkbModel    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    XkbModel    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
# or:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
#    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#    XkbRules    "xfree86"
#    XkbModel    "pc101"
#    XkbLayout   "us"
#    XkbVariant  ""