Re: Where can I find xterm_color?

Can somebody put a line in such that we can reply to the list rather
than to the user?  I have seen several people request this already.

James LewisMoss <dres@scsn.net> writes:

>  Shaya> On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Nathan L. Cutler wrote:
>  >> >>>>> "John" == John <goto@compmore.net> writes:
>  >>
>  John> I finally got X Windows up and running, and I'm using fvwm95,
>  John> but when I try and start a new sheel, the message "xterm_color"
>  John> appears in my login window.
>  >>
>  John> Also, how do I set the LS_OPTIONS so that my directory listings
>  John> will be in color?  Right now I am using an alias, but that's a
>  John> sloppy way to do it.  Also, does fvwm95 support colorized
>  John> listings?
>  >>  I don't know anything about fvwm95, but if you put the following
>  >> line in your .bash_profile or equivalent, 'ls' should display in
>  >> color:
>  >>
>  >> eval `dircolors`
> Here's what I got in my .bashrc to set up color.
>
> if [ $ANSI = "true" ] ; then
>   eval `dircolors ~/.dir_colors`
> fi
> if [ $ANSI = "true" ] ; then
>   LS_BIN="/bin/ls --color"
> else
>   LS_BIN="/bin/ls"
> fi
> alias ls="$LS_BIN -FC" # removed argument 'o' from these three lines
> alias l="$LS_BIN -lFC"
> alias dir="$LS_BIN -l"
> alias cls="clear ; $LS_BIN"

I have XTerm handling colors, and 'ls' will also generate colors, but
only for file types such as directories and executables.  The
'dircolors' executable just sets up "LS_COLORS=''", which isn't very
useful.  The documentation for 'dircolors' refers to using 'dircolors
--print-data-base' for help on what format to use, so I saved the
output and tried running dircolors on it, but it still sets LS_COLORS
to a null string.  Does anybody have any information on how to get
'ls' to colorize files by file name, such as the old color-ls used to
do?  Unless I am completely missing something obvious, it looks like
either 'dircolors' doesn't work, or the documentation is completely
wrong (this is running on Debian 1.2).

Thanks for any information.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org