Re: Best Debian CD?

According to Benedikt Eric Heinen:

> > > Actually, if you've already got DOS running on your pc, it should be
> > > possible to put in the CD and run a "setup.exe" without ever making a
> > > boot floppy.
> > 	MS-DOS may not be installed on every system running Linux.  I just
> > 	recently installed an e-mail server with Debian Linux that does not
> > 	require a DOS partition.
> Still I'd say it'd be a good idea, if the system could be installed
> without having to make boot disks... That's what I liked about RedHat3
> when it came out, you could just start linux from the dos prompt and the
> installation didn't even require you to write boot/root/base disks. (Still
> for quite a few reasons, I am happy I changed to debian - but I really
> think that this feature would be good, I just don't like all the hassle
> with those 6 disks you need for the installation, if everything could
> alternatively also be done from the CD directly.

It may be possible to reduce the number of floppy disks required to
install Debian if it could be assumed that every system has a
CD-ROM. (Mine did not.)  However, IMO it is not necessary nor
productive to require that MS-DOS be available for Debian installation.
I would like to build a Linux system w/o having to pay MS a license
fee for DOS.  Although, perhaps MS should require Linux as a
prerequisite to install NT ;-).

--
 \ Carl Greco           PHONE voice: (402) 496-3381 /