Re: Some thoughts for Debian.

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> I disagree.  From what I've read, the Debian charter doesn't stop
> commercial vendors or indeed anyone from making their own distribution
> based on Debian containing as few or as many packages as they want.  So
> the Debian team doesn't really need to get involved in that.  Yes the
> distribution is huge but until it overflows the 650 MB capacity of a
> CD-ROM there is no need to needlessly restrict peoples choices.

There is no reason to restrict peoples choices.
Thats what contrib would be for, to provide alternatives to programs
considered part of the official distribution.

And while there is nothing preventing commercial vendors from using
Debian. They aren't. RedHat is slowly becoming the big player in the
game. The debian package managment system and the sheer size of the
distribution is NOT enough to convince people to use Debian.

I just read Bruce's position on the "official" debian CD and I think
it is a major push in the right direction.

> Maybe that would be a good idea.  What if experienced (or just opinionated
> :-) debian users put up web pages, perhaps at some central location like
> www.debian.org detailing their own mini-distributions.  There would a list
> of packages with links into the ftp site, a little blurb describing why
> the particular packages were chosen or what specific task the mini-
> distribution was designed for.  contributors could also supply their
> own additional documentation and act as the tech support for their mini-
> distributions.
>
> -- Jaldhar

A mini-distribution is no good if the foundation it's built on is
flawed.