Re: Some thoughts for Debian.

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Gith wrote:

> I've been watching the debates about Cds, dividing up non-free, and etc..
> And I had a few thoughts I wanted to throw out at everyone.
>
> I think if debian is going to succeed, it's going to have to be reduced
> to a standard set of "core" applications that will make up the "offical"
> distribution of debian. Right now, the distribution is huge and it's
> getting bigger.

i agree with what you said 110%.

as it stands i already have setup my system as you have described.  i only
use the Debian distribution to make up the core of my system and put all
of the rest in /usr/local/ on another partition.  upgrades are almost
painless this way.  one just has to upgrade the key applications that form
the core of the system while /usr/local containing all of my specialized
applications that are unique to my needs and machine remain untouched.

this works for me and it would be nice if the actual Debian distribution
could be constructed under this philosophy.

getting everyone to agree on what is `essential' is another matter
however.