Networking questions....

I have a desktop machine running Debian 1.2 and a Tecra with a 3c589
etherlink card.

I'd like to know why I cannot just plug in and boot my laptop and expect
the cards ethernet light to be on. The only way the ethernet gets setup
right is when I've rebooted my desktop machine. Only then will the
laptops ethernet be lit.

With David Hinds's pcmcia_cs should I be able to unplug the etherlink
and simply reinsert it and expect the ethernet light to be on?