where/what is libdl1 ?

I tried upgrading to 1.2 this morning, and I ran into this problem.
perl-base pre-depends on libdl1, which doesn't seem to be defined anywhere
(none of the lib* packages look like they provide it).
Dselect doesn't complain about this, but dpkg says it can't satisfy libdl1
and aborts the upgrade.

I switched to rex-fixed, no change.

Any clues?  It occurred to me to search the linux-user archives but both
search systems are down.

Thanks,
-Tom

PS.  I'd appreciate e-mail; our news server has been very unreliable.