Re: How do I get back my LINUX

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:36:37 GMT "Chuma Agbodike" (ak349@lafn.ORG)
wrote:

> > [snip]
> > > Then make dep, clean, zImage. It failed . mentioning stuff like core
> > > dump etc. Anyway I wanted my old LINUX back. So I edited lilo.conf to
> > > reflect 2.0.6 instead of 2.0.13 (I had 2.0.13 running when compile
> > > failed.) PROBLEM: I forgot to run lilo before rebooting. On rebooting
> > > I was greeted by ....crc error . System halted. Only way out was
> > > hard reset. I thought I could just use my BOOT & ROOT diskettes to
> > > fix things. I got in and shelled out. Mounted the filesystem on the
> > > HD. and tried to run lilo after copying boot.b to /boot. That got me:
> > >
> > > "Don't know how to handle device 0x100"
> >
> > You're trying to install lilo on the boot/root disks.
> > If you've mounted your HD root fs on /mnt, use:
> > 	lilo -r /mnt
> > Lilo will chroot() there before running, installing on the HD.
>
> I did what you sugested ans here is what I got:
>
> Lilo: "Can't resolve symbol 'chroot'.

Gasp, the stripped down version of libc on the rescue disk doesn't contain chroot() !!!! Who made the rescue disk ? This is a serious problem.

I can offer to compile for you a statically linked lilo... or the following should work (I assume your root fs is mounted on /mnt)

   # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/lib
   # lilo -r /mnt

This might fail (not sure) because lilo with dynamically link against /mnt/lib/libc, and once chrooted, won't find this file anymore.
So the next thing might work too:

   # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/lib
   # /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo

This way, chroot will use your hd's libc which should contain chroot(), and then will start lilo in the chrooted environment.

If the two things fail, email me, I'll send you a statically linked lilo.
But #2 should work... theorically...

Phil.