Re: Can any one recommend a mailreader...

    > other than pine. I would like a simple curses based reader

I use Gnus, which these days comes with emacs.  It (emacs) runs
on almost any terminal or in a window - does that satisfy your
curses needs?.  A word of caution - if you are not an emacs fan,
Gnus may not be for you - on the other hand, it may make you an
emacs fan.

    > that easily allows one to configure the mail to read
    > automatically into separate folders depending on the
    > address it came from,

It allows your to split mail automatically into folders according
to regular expressions.

    > allows filename completion when reading files in or when
    > going to different folders,etc.

Gnus uses the usual emacs expansion so that's no problem.

    > Preferably any configuration should be built into the
    > interface itself, i.e. it would be nice to avoid editing a
    > configuration file directly.  -Walter

Some configuration is available by using the cleverly named
"configure" command.  I edit my mail splitting by hand, but since
gnus runs as part of emacs, which is originally an editor,
editing is a pretty straight forward.

    > The system I intend to run it on is the university system
    > running slackware.

Should be able to run emacs on that.  There is a Gnus faq posted
regularly to gnu.emacs.gnus that can get you started if you are
interested.

Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                              miller5@uiuc.edu
  Nuclear Physics Lab, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign