How do I get back my LINUX

I was trying to make my own rescue disk using Yard-1.7. The kernel +
root disk that it prepared would not fit in 2 diskettes. On checking
a few things, I noticed that my LINUX  did not have RAMDISK
configured into it. So I ran make config  and edited Makefile
uncommenting RAMDISK giving it size as 2048. At the same time added
busmouse (now that I have a busmose after acquiring a 2nd modem).

Then make dep, clean, zImage. It failed . mentioning stuff like core
dump etc. Anyway I wanted my old LINUX back. So I edited lilo.conf to
reflect 2.0.6 instead of 2.0.13 (I had 2.0.13 running when compile
failed.) PROBLEM: I forgot to run lilo before rebooting. On rebooting
I was greeted by ....crc error . System halted. Only way out was
hard reset. I thought I could just use my BOOT & ROOT diskettes to
fix things. I got in and shelled out. Mounted the filesystem on the
HD. and tried to run lilo after copying boot.b to /boot. That got me:

"Don't know how to handle device 0x100"

How can I get back my LINUX? I spent a lot of time setting it up.
I hate to think that I may have to start over.

Best regards

Chuma Agbodike