Re: CD-ROM -- how to mount, etc.

> I  have an IDE atapi cdrom drive which is found when linux starts up:
>
> hca: CD-ROM CDR_S16, ATAPI CDROM DRIVE.
>
> But, I can't mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom.
> Neither can I use CDPLAY.
>
> Could it possibly be since mcdx doesn't find the drive?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how to use CD-ROMs, because I don't have
one, but message "hca: CD-ROM CDR_S16, ATAPI CDROM DRIVE"
seems to say that the device is /dev/hca, and not
/dev/cdrom. Try:

	mount -t isofs /dev/hca /cdrom

I think "isofs" is the correct file system type. If not,
see the mount manual page.

> Also, what is the linux equivelant to config.sys, I want to be able to
> remove some of the call to drivers when linux starts up, I only have
> about 20 devices, but linux attempts  to load about 50.

Well, Linux is a "little" more complicated to configure
than a simple "config.sys" file like in MSDOS.

*If* the drivers that you don't want are compilated as
modules, then you can edit the file /etc/modules and
comment them with #.

But *if* they are "hard compiled" in kernel, you need
to compile a new kernel by yourself. You'll need these
packages:

	gcc
	cpp
	binutils
	bin86
	tk40
	tcl74
	xlib
	libc5-dev
	ncurses3.0-dev
	kernel-source-2.0.27
	tk40-dev
	tcl74-dev

When *all* of them where installed, go to
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27 and do:

	make menuconfig

and select what your kernel need, then, do:

	make dep
	make clean
	make zImage

when all is finished, do this:

	cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27/arch/i386/boot/zImage
/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.27
	cp /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.27/System.map /boot/System.map-2.0.27
	rm /vmlinuz
	rm /System.map
	ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.27 /vmlinuz
	ln -s /boot/System.map-2.0.27 /System.map

then do this:

	mv /boot/modules/2.0.27 /boot/modules/old-2.0.27

and then:

	make modules
	make modules-install

when all is done, run:

	lilo

and you can boot your system, with your new kernel.
If the kernel is not what you want, do these commands
again, to make a new kernel.

Well, when the kernel is loaded, the files in the
directory /etc/rc.boot are executed. You can edit
these files, remove them or add new ones, wich do
the job of configuring many thing in the system,
like the serial ports. As with "config.sys" and
"autoexec.bat", do a backup of them, but in another
directory.

When these configuration ends, the files in the
directories /etc/init.d are executed by the
symlinks in the directories /etc/rc?.d, in which
the "?" in a number betwen 0 and 6, which represent
the runlevel of the system. The login prompt and
other things are in runlevel 2, so the commands
from /etc/rc0.d to /etc/rc2.d are executed.

The symlinks in these directories start with S or K,
have a number, and the name of the file in
/etc/init.d. The symlinks with K (from "kill") are
executed first, in numeric order, with the parameter
"stop", and then the symlinks with S (from "start"),
in numeric order, with the parameter "start". So,
the symlinks in rc0.d, rc1.d, and rc2.d are executed,
and them the prompt apears.

When you shutdown, reboot or do a <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Del>,
the symlinks in /etc/rc6.d are executed. You can see
many lines in your screen, with the first saying
something like "Switching to run-level 6...".

If you want to know what these symlinks with "start"
and "stop" parameters do, look at the real files
in /etc/init.d

When you login, if you're using "bash", the file
/etc/profile is executed, then ~/.bash_profile,
then ~/.bashrc. The file ~/.bash_profile is
executed only in the main login, but the file
~/.bashrc is executed by every new "bash" that
you run.

It's simple, don't is? ;)

Alexander Gieg

By: Alexander Gieg