CD-ROM -- how to mount, etc.

I  have an IDE atapi cdrom drive which is found when linux starts up:

hca: CD-ROM CDR_S16, ATAPI CDROM DRIVE.

But, I can't mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom.
Neither can I use CDPLAY.

Could it possibly be since mcdx doesn't find the drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the linux equivelant to config.sys, I want to be able to
remove some of the call to drivers when linux starts up, I only have
about 20 devices, but linux attempts  to load about 50.

Thanx.

Jason Wood

Windows[n.]- another pane in the glass.
Want a laugh and learn about me:  http://www.ccil.org/~wood/
Have a great day/night whatever, I don't seem know 1 from the other.