dselect for newbies

	I'm probably fanning the flames in regard to dselect and new user
installation problems, but being a recent convert to Debian and *nix, I
think I might have something productive to add.
	When I set up my system for the first time, I didn't use dselect
at all because it seemed too complex and unfriendly.  I manually checked
dependencies, ftp'd the packages and dpkg'd them on my system.  I spent
hours on the web site searching for the functionality and dependicies I
wanted/needed.
	The most recent time I set up a system, I used dselect because I
was already familiar with the packages system and to a certain degree,
knew what I needed.
	What I really could have used was a disk with ppp, a ppp setup
script and a sentence that said "Please connect to our ftp site and let
dselect run once without any changes, it is configured to load some of the
basic system software and bring you up to a current revision level.  Sit
back and watch your modem lights."  The other helpful imformation that
could be displayed would be some sort of progress indication in terms of
time.  I don't know how some of the other ISP's work, but mine limits me
to a 3 hr. connection.  I can reconnect immedatly, but the three hr. limit
always applies.  This run thru could be on a separate disk.  I would have
gladly set up another disk for this kind help.  Obvoiusly, the basic
system software downloaded in this first run needs to be decided on, but I
think it should enable the user to have some docs and enough toys to allow
dselect to be usable to him/her.

Rob

Less is more; more or less.