Re: Discussion Role Based Packages (was Re: Fax programs! help please. (fwd)

> While watching the discussion concerning dselect that went on
> a while back it occured to me the deselect may not be the best
> place to implement "role based system configuration" (a setup
> based on what the intended user will be doing).  It seems to
> me that dpkg should (already) support recursive packages.
> That is, the install(remove) script for a package would
> invoke dpkg to install(remove) other packages as well
> as modify config(and .*rc) files.  And, rather
> than just making suggestions about how to improve dselect it
> would be easy enough to constuct a role based package and
> say 'see like this'.  My current configuration is nothing to
> brag about, but I would like to see what the experts have done.
> The main benefit would be to allow an installer to invoke
> dpkg once(few) times on a(some) role based package(s).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "role based package". Do you mean a
package that comes preconfigured for some specific task, like sendmail
with a special sendmail.cf, or something like that?

> 1) is this possible?
> 2) if so, how would it be done?
> 5) would it be possible to generate a role package automagically
>    from the dpkg status files?

I have written a package, called dpkg-repack, that is in experimental
right now. It works like this:

[root@kite] /tmp>dpkg-repack fvwm2
dpkg-deb: building package `fvwm2' in `./fvwm2_2.0.43-BETA-0_i386.deb'.
[root@kite] /tmp>ls -l fvwm2_2.0.43-BETA-0_i386.deb
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       278552 Jan 16 15:01 fvwm2_2.0.43-BETA-0_i386.deb

The fvwm2.deb that it generated has _my_ fvwm2 conffiles in it, so when I
go to install it elsewhere, it's configured with my own fvwm2 setup.

Is this what you mean? If so, yes, it's possible. dpkg-repack is
experimental because it is not guarenteed to work properly with all
packages, yet, and it's not been tested much.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -pi_______Syntax:_sig.pl_<location-of-netscape-program>_______
BEGIN{if(!$ARGV[0]){$^I=~y/_/ /;print"$^I\n";exit}$^I='.bak'}#       Joey Hess