Re: tar dumps core

 Yes, I've experienced this too.

: It won't dump core if file is smaller (say a few KB) or the option M
: is not used.

 I've put together a set of 3 QIC-150 tapes with debian 1.2.
Reading/testing every single tape back is ok, where of course the
overlapping files are lost.  Reading it back with "M"-option makes the
first tape give a Segmentation fault at an offset of about 60MB.  At
the first glance I thought it were a bad media, but the critical point
has shown to be exactly at the same byte on another media.

 Anyway,  I had to put in the variable
	LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgnumalloc.so.5
 in debian 1.2 to make tar go without seg fault, but this didn't help
against that multi volume trap.  Then I realized the same behavior on
this special set of tapes at another system, running an older kernel
and another distribution, but the same tar version "GNU tar 1.11.8".
So, is this fault really ((tar-version) + data)-dependent?  I usually
read my tapes back with the -t option, to avoid media problems and
know in advance, what surely will bit me in the future, and worked
around with reading the tapes as single tapes.

 -Andreas.

--
Uni Wuppertal, FB Elektrotechnik, Tel/Fax: (0202) 439 - 3009
Dr. Andreas Wehler;  wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de