Re: Best Debian CD?

On 15 Jan 1997 21:59:23 -0500 Steve Dunham <dunham@dunham.tcimet.net>
writes:
>"Bruce Perens" <bruce@golem.pixar.com> writes:
>
>> I think all existing "silver" Debian CDs are parts of sets.
>>
>> 	Infomagic - 6 CDs.
>> 	Pacific Hightech - January edition of their Monthly CD, also
>contains
>> 		redhat updates and contrib, Java, and Linux Gazette.
>> 	Linux Systems Labs - BINARY only RH, Slackware, and Debian
>on one CD
>> 		for only $3.
>
>> We are working on a remedy for this situation.
>> We are also putting up a paid help desk for those who like to use
>one.
>
>The guy at LSL says that he will make a Debian-only CD (with the whole
>thing on it) if we can come up with a single floppy installation
>system (he will include the single floppy too).  (He also said
>something about helping to support the project too.)
>
>The 6-floppy system is a huge drawback - I've seen a lot of complaints
>about it on USENET - it seems people have trouble digging up six
>floppies without errors.

Just a note here, if your e-mail server doesn't mind you using ftpmail,
it might be a good idea to learn how to use it.  UUENCODE, or UUE does a
better job with some binary information than does linx [linx seems to
think that *.deb is a ASCII file, does anybody know how to change this so
I can send a comment to CCIL [a local linux server] on how to reconfig so
this doesn't continue to happen to me?].

Anybody who wants more information on ftpmail can send me a private
e-mail, or if you feel its appropriate I will post it on the debain-user
list.

Jason Wood