Re: Fax programs! help please. (fwd)

> edwalter@students.wisc.edu wrote:
> > I have felt for some time that a lot of people are
> > getting the wrong idea about Linux.  I don't think linux is intended
> > to be a suitable replacement OS for "computer illiterates" and other
> > people who want to put no work into their system, and I hope linux
> > developers are not trying to make it that.
>
> But what's the difference between an OS for computer illiterates (like
> NT or NextStep) and an OS for computer gurus (like Linux - for now)?
> They all have sophisticated kernels and they can all do fairly powerful
> things.

 I've never touched an NT box... but I don't consider NextStep an OS for
computer illetarates.

> I see no reason why a system can't be developed (over time, we're not
> there yet) that allows a novice user to become productive as easily
> as Win95 (hopefully more easily), but gives those of us who need to
> muck with the internals the opportunity to do so.

  I agree... but if you look inside OS/2 or DOS, you'll see a stripped
down Unix functionality... it's a Unix with its claws removed.

  Sure, its everybodys dream to make a system like that... and has been
the discussion for years, reaching far outside this little mailbox of
ours.

> The same thing the user would do with Win95.  Call somebody who does
> know the answer and if necessary pay them to fix it.
>
> I think in general your comments about the nature of Unix/Linux are
> correct.  This isn't a system you can use without knowing something
> about how it works.  But I don't think this property is essential to
> it's power.  Over time it can evolve into an OS for regular people and
> Debian lays some of the groundwork that will make this possible.  It's
> and "enabling technology", as they say.

  A long time ago, when I was young... and 8 bit systems ruled the
Universe.  I maintained and changed a system, that used a parallel bus
for communications, sharing printers and storage.  The system used a
simple token bus, to prioritize each computer... however, there were
bugs in the system, and often when the system ended its round.  It didn't
realease the token... and the bus hung.  Now, I spent a lot of time
running after each bug... and all that time, the solution was right in
front of my nose.  There was a single state that each system would reach,
where it was *known* that the token wasn't needed... so instead of
running after every bug, the solution was to ensure the token wasn't
stuck in this state.  All the old bugs where still there, just outside the
functionality of the systems domain... and therefore irrelevant.

  Now, the only thing I can... is computers.  I could probably try dancing,
but would probably even fail to look like a clown.  I could try carpending,
and the roof I'd build would best be suited to take a shower under in a
stormy weather... and when I state "I'd rather be computing than commuting"
its because I tried the latter... and failed miserably.

  What I'm getting at... is that a computer illiterate is a person who is
in the reverse situation.  A good carpenter, or a good dancer... a great
athlete... or a commuter, but definately not a computer.  And when I go
out to buy myself a car, I don't go into a store and order different
pieces that I then put together... hopefully arriving at a usable automobile,
nor do I chop down some wood and puzzle a skyscraber.  But if I wanted to,
I could go into a hobby store and get some pieces to puzzle in private
hours... having fun puzzling an airoplane, enthrilled to see it fly!

  What Im driving at is... for a writer, make an environment suitable for
writers... and for an office worker set up an environment for an office
worker... each can be based on a common os... but to try and create a
one setup to serve all... will only fail (unless you're going for a
guaranteed ten years service part :-)