1.2.0: problem with dependencies

Hello,

 how do I manually change dependencies in the dpkg-database?
 Is it sufficient to do it in /var/lib/dpkg/available and
 /var/lib/dpkg/status?

 I tried to install gimp-smotif from Debian 1.2.0 (InfoMagic Dec1996).
 dselect says, that X11R6 is needed but doesn't seem to be available.
 I figured that this is due to xbase doesn't have a 'Provides: X11R6' in
 its dependencies.

 After inserting a line 'Provides: X11R6' under xbase in both 'available'
 and 'status' the problem went away. I don't know if this is the correct
 way, but I didn't want to download an xbase upgrade (I think it's about
 2MB long).

TIA,

 Ulf