X aborts

One of the machines onto which I am installing Debian 1.2.1 responds to startx
by making a window (no mouse cursor visible) and then returning to command line
mode (X server shut down). Other factors:
	* X ran ok under Debian 1.1
	* gpm only lets the mouse cursor enjoy vertical motion
	* startx spews out lots of text that seems ok, but ends with
          PEX extension module not loaded
	  XIE extension module not loaded
but such extensions were unpackaged and installed. I'll continue tweaking, but
would appreciate any hints.

Regards, Richard