what's NMI recieved.

I have been recieving an NMI recieved error on my linux box at school
recently.  It says somehting like "dazed and confused, but trying to
continue" and it does, but I'd like to fix this.  I know some of the
memory chips are probably bad, and I have replacements, but I want to
know which chips to replace.  Is there any program that will do an
intesive memory check and report if any memory is bad.

Thanks,

Shaya