Re: Sendmail redirects all *local* mail to domain MX ?????

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Pete Templin wrote:
> > 2) It doesn't recognize thishost as its host name.
> > For #2, double check that /etc/hostname is the same as a reverse DNS lokup
> > on the IP address of the machine.
>
> Errr, what if somebody isn't running DNS??? (like me???)  Won't
> defining Dwmyhost and Dj$w still work?  What the heck is this .cw
> file for?  Why is debian implementing an incompatable sendmail?
> Isn't sendmail complicated enough?  I thought a project design
> goal was to have a *nix compatable system?  Are other Linux
> distributions adopting this .cw file as well?

Sorry.  I guess I meant a reverse /etc/hosts or DNS lookup.

The .cw file is implementing the Cw macro as a separate file, perhaps so
that someone without root privs can maintain the mailserver.  Cw is still
in the .cf, so it is still _compatible_, at least with documented
standards.  From my "mailhub" templinux, I allow templin-wks:

[snipped from sendmail.cf]

Cwlocalhost
# file containing names of hosts for which we receive email
Fw/etc/mail/sendmail.cw

[snipped from sendmail.cw]

templin-wks.bucknell.edu

> > I'm a bit surprised that mx.mydom.com accepts your mail, as
> > /etc/mail/sendmail.cw (in the debian implementation, was formerly in
> > sendmail.cf as CW) must contain thishost.mydom.com.  Unless of course that
>
> I found no debian specific documentation for sendmail that
> mentioned a sendmail.cw file.

Perhaps not, but sendmail has always (well, for a while, and documented in
Eric Allman's bible) used at least the Cw macro (the sendmail.cw is at
least in debian linux - I haven't even considered looking at another
distribution since I saw the Debian light) to extend the definition of
"local" addresses.  Example:

Mail.bucknell.edu handles local mail delivery for @bucknell.edu mail.  As
such, it needs to have "bucknell.edu" defined in Cw.

If bucknell were to install a holding point to manage incoming mail
(perhaps while a system upgrade took place, using DNS MX records), it
would NOT handle "bucknell.edu" mail (as it doesn't have the users
defined/mailboxes properly updated).

Although I refuse to claim that I am a sendmail expert, I can probably
field a few questions/provide a little advice on the above.  Holler if I
can help.

  --Pete