changing/correcting dependencies

Hello,

 somehow there's a problem with X11R6 dependencies in Debian 1.2.
 Trying to install gimp-smotif dselect says, that X11R6 is needed
 but doesn't seem to be available. Of course I installed it and it
 even works :)
 This should be a problem in xbase, I think. I tried to correct it
 by inserting
  Provides: X11R6
 for the xbase package in /var/lib/dpkg/available and /var/lib/dpkg/status.
 Now gimp installs fine.

 My question: Is there any caveat in doing this? Should there be any other
 changes made to the database?

 BTW, is there a possibilty to use 'force' in dselect for programs that
 have to be configured? I was able to install gimp using 'Q' after selecting
 it, but it couldn't be configured.

Thanks,

 Ulf

#  http://www.phy.tu-dresden.de/~ujr                      #
# mailto:ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de             ++      #
# finger for PGP key  (1024/7695B00D)      :\:| , :| :::| #
# A witty saying proves nothing.                          #