Re: Mail servers: share your experience with us

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Debian - Leander Berwers wrote:

> There are a number of mail server products like sendmail and smail.
> - What product are you using?

Sendmail as made available from the debian developers.  I've grown up as a
sendmail junkie, and keep the O'Reilly book within arm's reach.  I do need
to buy the new one.

> - Are you satisfied with it? Does it do what you expect from it?

Yup.  Handles my unmoderated list very well.

> - How does it behave at higher loads? Performance losses? Brain deads?

Minimal experience at high load, but then again, I used the sendmail bok
to guide me when setting up my mailing list.  My list would have to see a
massive amount of email to cause the load to get crazy.  It's set up so
that mail to the list is delivered one at a time by a queue runner, not
handled immediately.  As such, I'd have to be delivering to all local mail
boxes and have enough mail to last more than 30 minutes to push the load
average above 1!  So yes, I do like sendmail.

  --Pete