Re: X11 and keymaps on debian 1.2

In article <[🔎] 199701081212.NAA05236@cobalt.daimi.aau.dk>,
	Christian Lynbech <lynbech@daimi.aau.dk> writes:
> However now, even though it still boots up nicely with a danish
> keymap, X now provides a US layout. I could of course fix it with
> xmodmap but that shouldn't really be necessary I hope.

I had this problem to. It is because XFree86 3.2 has a new way to select
another keyboard layout (the XKEYBOARD extension). Here is the section
of my (new) XF86Config:

----------------
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#    XkbDisable
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    XkbModel    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    XkbModel    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
# or:
#    XkbLayout   "de"
#    XkbVariant  "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

# These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
#    XkbRules    "xfree86"
#    XkbModel    "pc101"
#    XkbLayout   "us"
#    XkbVariant  ""
#    XkbOptions  ""

    XkbKeymap   "xfree86(de)"
I think the postinst of the x packages should keep the keyboard setting
(altough I don't know how cause I don't remember how national keyboard
selection was done in XFree86 3.1 ;-/  )

Bye ... Rainer
--
            Rainer.Bawidamann@sol.wohnheim.uni-ulm.de