Xwindows video modes

I have been trying to instal X on my linux box, and everythig in
theinstallation went ok.  whenever I start xinit or startx, however, it
rolls by some startup mgs and then gives me the following:

(--) SVGA: There is no mode definition named "640x480"
(--) SVGA: Removing mode "640x480" from list of valid modes.
(--) SVGA: There is no mode definition named "320x200"
(--) SVGA: Removing mode "320x200" from list of valid modes.

Then the screen blanks out for a second, comes back up, gives me a fatal
server error, andgoes back to the root prompt.  Whenever I try xdm, it goes
really wacko, with the screen flashing, text jumping around, and all sorts
of interesting and disturbing things.

I have de-installed and re-installed several times, checked my XF86Config
(and several others) and everything seems to be set up right for my card (a
Paradise Accelerator Value card) and my monitor.  The two modes ARE defined
in XF86Config, both in /etc/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, but it's not picking
them up.  I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why.

Help me before I go bald!

Thanx,
Budd