How to produce the file Packages

Hi

I'm new to Debian and have just installed the system by downloading
almost all the the binary tree. Everything appears fine. I did have
some problems with dselect (understanding on my part).

What I'd like to know is how is the file Packages constructed. In this
file there are descriptions and a path to where the apps.deb is located.
Would it be possible to dump several *.deb files into a directory and
construct the file Packages at the top level and then run dselect on the
resulting tree. Is there a program which will construct the file Packages
from a tree containing *.deb files?

Can anyone point me to more information to read on how dselect works.

BTW, I'm a former Slackware user currently running RedHat and looking
at Debian.

Thanks,
Terry