Re: Help: problem with booting from HD

In article <[🔎] Pine.SUN.3.91.970109030010.4936B-100000@eris.cs.umb.edu>,
R <ray@cs.umb.edu> wrote:

 > "LILO Loading Linux
 > Uncompressing Linux..."
 > "crc error
 >   System halted"

  Apparently, LILO was installed correctly, and accessed the /vmlinuz
file without (disk i/o) errors. It seems, though, that the correct data
wasn't loaded, which could mean a disk geometry problem (in fact, that's
the only thing I can think of). I asked you this before: do you have LBA
mode or Large mode turned on in the BIOS settings for your harddisk?
How many cylinders does it say your HD has? If this number is bigger
than 1024, you're in trouble. If either Large or LBA mode is on, try the
other one (and prepare to reinstall!). (The BC manual explains all this
in the section on Cylinder-Head-Sector translation). If you have to
reinstall, hold off on W95 and try Linux first; W95 will overwrite your
MBR, but BC is easy to reinstall.

  Your lilo.conf looks OK to me - and from the above messages, LILO
itself appears to be working fine (it's the kernel uncompression code
that complains).

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>