Re: A proposal to improve dselect

In article <[🔎] 199701081756.JAA15270@tantale.fifi.org>,
Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> wrote:
 > On Wed, 08 Jan 1997 15:42:27 +0100 Gertjan Klein (gklein@xs4all.nl)
 > wrote:

 >> One of my most serious criticisms is the fact that in spite of the
 >> dependencies being known, packages aren't installed in the right order.
 >> If package 1 depends on package 2, then package 2 *must* be installed
 >> *first*. This isn't done; I consider this a bug, that should be
 >> reported.

 > Not a bug. What you describe is pre-dependencies. It's a bit too long
 > to explain here, but you can find all the details in the Debian
 > policy manual.
 > Dpkg does the work right... so far.

  Interesting. I looked in /usr/doc/debian, and found no policy manual.
I finally found a policy.html _directory_ in /usr/doc/dpkg; I read all
the files in it and couldn't find "all the details" there... But perhaps
there already is a misunderstanding, as you're talking about dpkg, and I
was talking about dselect. (Or maybe I don't understand the interaction
between the two). Dselect knows the dependancies between the packages it
has to install, and should should present them to dpkg in the right
order.

  I don't want to start word games here, but in my opinion a bug is an
unintended or undesired feature. I can hardly imagine the debian
developers finding it desirable to present an unexpecting installer with
lots of error messages about dependancies, but if they do, I urge them
to reconsider this point of view.

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>