novice questions

I am running debian linux 1.1 (linux 2.0.0) very satisfactorily
except for some bizarre behaviour on startup and shutdown:

1.  On startup the initial login will not take any input--as if the
keyboard was frozen.  So I go to vc 2 and login.  Then I can login at
vc 1 again.  But after I succeed with the password, it still won't
give me a prompt until I do a Ctrl C.   What's happening?

2.  It often stalls at shutdown.  I get these messages:
        The system is going down for reboot NOW !!
        INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
        INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
        INIT: Sending processes the Kill signal
At that point it stalls--and freezes the machine.
So I have to reset the machine.  Next
time I bring up linux it has to go through e2fsck.

3.  When I call man, for example man 9wm, I get the response, "What
manual page do you want from section 9wm?"  So I try man 9wm.1 and get
the same response.  What is the appropriate answer to such a question?

        Any enlightenment about any (or all) of these problems
will be greatly appreciated.  (I have unbounded admiration for you
linux wizards.)