Re: Good cheap source of hardware?

Alan Eugene Davis writes:
> I hope this is not too far off topic for this list.  I have seen a
> number of discussions for hardware issues, so maybe it's ok.

Off topic? Not really, having good hardware is important to having a stable
Debian system. 8-)

> I am considering upgrading from my 486SX33 notebook to a desktop
> system.  I note in Computer Shopper and elsewhere, that for less than
> a thousand US dollars there are available systems that---while not up
> to date---would walk circles around mine.  I am a bit confused and
> intimidated, and not up to date.   I would very much appreciate advice
> as to good, reliable sources for cheap clones.  I am looking at a
> Pentium 100MHz basic system.  Real basic is ok.  But I want 32 MB of
> RAM and I want a graphics card to run X.  And I don't want to be
> spending money to mail it back to the dealer.

ON SHOPPING:
There are several ways to look at this situation. You could try mail order
from a reputable mail order vendor (as you suggested above). Are there any
computer stores local to you? My preferred method for shopping is to use the
local computer stores. Why? If something goes wrong, I can take it back to the
folks who sold it and talk "face to face" and get it fixed (or replaced). I
pay more for my stuff than through "Computer Shopper". It's a trade-off. Also,
a good store also is a good place for advise and possible demos of equipment.

ON CONFUSION:
Ask questions. Intimidated or not, assuming anything about systems, mother
boards, memory, is not good. When I get ready to advance from this 486 system
to a Pentium/686 type system, I'll be asking questions - like "What is the
difference between 'Triton 2, Triton3, Triton VX, or Triton HX' chip sets?" or
What will I gain going to "EDO" RAM? etc., etc.

> I am also considering building my own.  I would appreciate advice on
> (1) sources of information on the web about how to go about it,
> pitfalls, etc.; (2) sources of parts; and (2) advice on
> the numerous existing motherboards.

If you have a clear idea of what you want in your system, "building your own"
is ok. When you get on the web, do a search on the following:
price NEAR computer NEAR component (or price NEAR monitor)
That should pull up the price comparison web sites. I found 3 on line sites
where you can price compare components for a "build your own" situation. I
don't have the addresses handy.

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.2 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK