Good cheap source of hardware?

I hope this is not too far off topic for this list.  I have seen a
number of discussions for hardware issues, so maybe it's ok.

I am considering upgrading from my 486SX33 notebook to a desktop
system.  I note in Computer Shopper and elsewhere, that for less than
a thousand US dollars there are available systems that---while not up
to date---would walk circles around mine.  I am a bit confused and
intimidated, and not up to date.   I would very much appreciate advice
as to good, reliable sources for cheap clones.  I am looking at a
Pentium 100MHz basic system.  Real basic is ok.  But I want 32 MB of
RAM and I want a graphics card to run X.  And I don't want to be
spending money to mail it back to the dealer.

I am also considering building my own.  I would appreciate advice on
(1) sources of information on the web about how to go about it,
pitfalls, etc.; (2) sources of parts; and (2) advice on
the numerous existing motherboards.

Thank you for any advice.

Alan Davis

--
 Alan Eugene Davis    Marianas High School      15o 8.8'N       GMT+10
 adavis@saipan.com    AAA 196 Box 10,001        145o 42.5'E

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one nonexistent."            ------ Lord Raleigh