Re: How much space does a Debian mirror take?

> On Wed, 08 Jan 1997 09:38:13 CST Timothy Phan (tphan@asl.dl.nec.com)
> wrote:
>
> >   I was once want to mirror the debian as well but I was told that
> >   I need to have a very high speed connection to the ISP.  Currently
> >   I can have upto 28.8 via modem from my house.  I'd like to know
> >   how do I go about getting a high speed connection, the cost of
> >   all this and process of setting up a mirror.  (I have plenty of
> >   harddrive space 10G in total).
>
> Not at all. I have a debian mirror through a 28.8/33.6 modem. It will take ages (ages=around 2 weeks) to mirror the stuff initially, and then refreshes are quite fast.
>
> If you want to look at high-speed connections, look for ISDNs. But this is much more expensive than standard modems.
>
> Phil.

Depending on where you live, your costs can range from reasonable, to
ridiculous.  I believe the original poster lives in Texas, which if I
am correct is a pretty competitive area, as far a Telco costs, and
ISP costs will go.
O'Reilly and Associates has a great book called, Gettting Connected-
The Internet at 56K and Up.
Really goes into the equipment, the Telco "crap", the guts of "big
pipes" if you will.
http://www.ora.com/
will lead you to the truth.
Have fun.