Re: A proposal to improve dselect

Pete Templin wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Martin Konold wrote:
>
> > Actually why is the maintainer so silent?
>
> Perhaps you would be silent if discussions about your package were turning
> into some semi-serious bash N trash sessions.  I'd like to offer my two
> cents about Debian and dselect:

[Big snip]

> How about we all take a step or two back and peek at what is in front of
> us?  There's a lot there.  It may not be the best it can be yet, but it's
> quite fine in its current form, and a menu-driven is certainly a step up
> from the command-line origins of UNIX.

There's no question about that. I completely agree with you on this point,
as i agree on the snipped part. Simply, new users are always frightened
by dselect. Personally i begin to apreciate it. Six month ago i switched
to debian from an old hand maintained slackware 3.0, i was lost in the
hierarchical-but-fully-diplayed dselect menu. I spent 45 minutes
fine tuning my selection. Big mistake. dpkg got screwed by something
that i don't remember (was debian 1.1.0), I had to reinstall everything.
Now i always tell to people switching to debian to accept the defaults,
only modifying the X server config, and the run dselect by adding little
by little. That's the whole strength of debian. But brend new users
don't even knows what emacs or gcc or whatever is. We need, rather than
bash N trashing dselect, a simple first screen with some installation
template. One for new users, one for coarse customization (as someone
told about BSDI), one for fine tuning, giving acces to the actual dselect.
Things like Tk based config can wait, but this "joe user template"
should be added ASAP, So i will stop recommending Redhat to peoples having
zero knoeledge of linux but wanting to try it. Anyway, your work on dselect
is IMHO great, at least for users acquainted with this tool.

> That said, who is willing to coordinate efforts toward gathering
> suggestions for dselect, and what is the next step that we need to take?
> I also have a machine which I am willing to offer up towards mailing
> lists, disk space, web pages, or whatever.  Let me know how I might help.
>

>   --Pete

Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont

Email:		<philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch>
Homepage:	http://sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch